According to recent surveys, nearly three-quarters of adults would like to write (and publish) a book. And indeed there is no better time than now to start. For most people the best bet is a non-fiction book based on their expertise. There’s no doubt that many fiction writers make a lot of money, but it’s much more difficult to break into the fiction market than it is the non-fiction market. People usually look for “well-known” authors when they buy a fiction book. This doesn’t apply in the case of non-fiction books; they’re usually looking for information, or how to solve a particular problem, and they’re not worried about who the author is.
Five good reasons why you should consider writing a non-fiction book are as follows.
- It’s no easier to get a book published by a major publisher than it has been in the past, but if you fail to get your book published after trying for a few months you can easily self-publish it. Self-publishing is now, in fact, an excellent option because it is relatively easy (see my book “You Should Publish a Book”). Programs now exist for setting it up on the computer so that it looks like a book you would find in a bookstore. Furthermore, with the internet (particularly, Amazon.com) it is now much easier to sell it on your own.
- It’s a good idea to have some expertise in the field or area you plan on writing about, but if you’re uncertain, or bump into a problem, you have the internet. It is, without a doubt, a gold mine of information. You can find information on almost anything with a few clicks. “But if you can find the information on the internet, everybody else can,” you say (and it’s free). That’s true, and this is where your expertise comes in : your job is to explain and simplify it, and give advice about it. People still like to get information from somebody they trust, and they prefer all the information to be in one place (as in a book).
- Another reason for writing a book is that it brings a certain amount of prestige, and it makes you an expert in the area you are writing about. Once you’re established as an expert, many new doors will be open to you.
- There’s also a certain satisfaction in writing a book. It’s a challenge that sharpens your writing skills, and it gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you’re finished.
- Finally, but not least, it can earn you considerable money in your spare time. In fact, your book could become a “best seller” and make you rich.
So it’s important to remember: If you don’t try, you’ll never know how successful you could have been.